Firearms and shotgun application | Suffolk Constabulary

You are here

Firearms and shotgun application

Applicants for the new grant of firearms & shotgun certificates

In response to Government advice around social contact the Firearms Licensing Unit is withdrawing from personal home visits.  A home visit is a requirement for all new certificate grant applicants and therefore we cannot accept new grant applications at this difficult time.  We apologise for any inconvenience but you will understand that this measure is necessary for everyone’s safety  We ask that applications for new certificate grants are not made until such time as the present risk from the Coronavirus is reduced.  Please monitor our website for updates on this situation.   

Applications for renewal of existing certificate should be made as normal.


How can I apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate?

You will need to fill in and return the application form.

For a firearms certificate application please also complete the land authority / club membership form as appropriate. 


Where do I send my application and fee?

Please pay online here


How do I apply for a variation to my firearm certificate?

To apply for a variation to your firearm certificate you will need to download and complete the variation form

Please ensure that you send your current firearm certificate with your application.

For more information on Firearms Law, please refer to the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law.


What next?

Applications for the grant of firearm and shotgun certificates, and firearm variations should be sent to:

Firearms Licensing Unit
Suffolk Constabulary
Portal Avenue

If you need further assistance please contact us.




  • “Firearms Licensing Applications may only be progressed once a fully completed application has been received by the Joint Firearms Licensing Unit including any applicable fee. 
  • Applications may only be granted where the requirements of the Firearms Acts have been met. 
  • Where an application cannot be progressed, is withdrawn or a decision is made to refuse the application,  the applicant will be contacted by the Firearms Licensing Unit and the application fee will be refunded.“