New national lockdown
The Prime Minister on Monday night (4 January) announced a new national lockdown in England following a rapid rise in cases of coronavirus, largely as a result of a new, more highly infectious variant of COVID-19.
People must stay at home and can only leave for a reasonable excuse. These reasons include, but are not exclusive too,
• Shopping for basic necessities, such as food or medicine
• One form of exercise a day
• Any medical needs or providing care or help to a vulnerable person
• Travelling to and from work, if you can’t reasonably do so from home
• Meet your support or childcare bubble where necessary
Further details on the measures and exemptions can be found at the Government website here.
As with all previous Public Health Regulations, police will have the power to fine people who break the rules.
The Government will introduce new legislation to accompany these new measures, which is expected to be published in the next few days. We will provide further details on these when we have them.
In the meantime, officers will continue to use powers available to them under the Tier 4 Regulations and we would urge the public to follow the rules and stay at home to help to stop the spread of coronavirus and protect the NHS.
If you witness or have information about people breaking the rules, you can complete our online reporting form here.