Man sentenced to life in prison for Newmarket murder | Suffolk Constabulary

You are here

Man sentenced to life in prison for Newmarket murder

charles_jessop.jpg

A man has been sentenced to life in prison following the death of a woman in Newmarket.

Charles Jessop, aged 30 of Bakers Row in Newmarket was jailed at Ipswich Crown Court today (Friday 16 July) and will serve a minimum term of 30 years in jail after he was found guilty of murder on Wednesday 9 June by a jury. It follows a trial which commenced on April 12 2021 at Ipswich Crown Court relating to the death of Clare Nash, aged 33, from Newmarket.

It follows an incident on Thursday 16 January 2020 just after 9.30pm to a report that Clare had been stabbed in her house in Brickfields Avenue, Newmarket. Emergency services attended but sadly Clare died at the scene.

Charles Jessop was arrested at Clare’s address and taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning where he was subsequently charged.

During the trial the court and jury heard how Jessop had bombarded Clare with unwanted telephone contact as their relationship ended, the Prosecution asserted that he became suspicious and jealous regarding Clare Nash’s new relationship. The court heard how Clare had died from multiple stab wounds and strangulation.  

Midway through the trial, Charles Jessop pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Senior Investigating Officer DI Matthew Connick said: "Charles Jessop was a violent offender who undertook the premediated murder of Clare Nash. I am pleased with the length of sentence as it reflects the cruel nature of his actions. As was the case at conviction our thoughts remain with the family.”

Jessop was also sentenced for an assault on a 22 year old male which occurred in November 2019 in Newmarket and that he had had previously pleaded guilty to. He received an 18 month jail sentence which will run concurrently with the life sentence.

Note to Editors:

As stated at the time of the incident and at conviction due to the fact that there had been previous contact between the victim and Suffolk Constabulary prior to the incident, the matter was referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) for their assessment. The IOPC decided to carry out an independent investigation, please contact them for further details.

Please also find attached a photo of Charles Jessop

The family do not wish to make any further comment.

 

Previous release I 9 June 2021

A man has been convicted of murder following the death of a woman in Newmarket.

Charles Jessop, (pictured) aged 30 of Bakers Row in Newmarket was found guilty today (Wednesday 9 June) by a jury following the trial which commenced on April 12 2021 at Ipswich Crown Court relating to the death of Clare Nash, aged 33, from Newmarket.

It follows an incident on Thursday 16 January 2020 just after 9.30pm to a report that Clare had been stabbed in her house in Brickfields Avenue, Newmarket. Emergency services attended but sadly Clare died at the scene. 

Charles Jessop was arrested at Clare’s address and taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning where he was subsequently charged.

During the trial the court and jury heard how Jessop had bombarded Clare with unwanted telephone contact as their relationship ended, the Prosecution asserted that he became suspicious and jealous regarding Clare Nash’s new relationship. The court heard how Clare had died from multiple stab wounds and strangulation.  Midway through the trial, Charles Jessop pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Sentencing of Jessop following the trial will take place on 16 July at Ipswich Crown Court.

Senior Investigating Officer DI Matthew Connick said: “This was a vicious, pre-meditated and unprovoked attack on Clare Nash by Charles Jessop so it is satisfying to see the jury found him guilty of this horrific act.

“While justice has been secured for Clare’s family the investigation team are acutely aware that this will not bring Clare back to them and the pain of her death still remains. Our thoughts are with the family at this time and I would like to thank them for their support during the investigation and trial”. 

Below is a statement from the father of Clare, Brian Nash:

“While nothing will return Clare to us, the emotional burden has been lessened knowing justice has been served. She was deeply, deeply loved and will be missed by her family and friends. 

“We would be grateful if the media would now respect our privacy to continue grieving.”

A photo of Clare Nash is below