Trainee Network Engineer
Full-time (37 hours) 18 month temporary, leading to permanent employment in a Network Engineer role (Band F) on successful completion of training programme
Starting Band D £22,902 - £25,914 per annum, progressing to Band F £31,365 - £35,808 after 6 Months.
Closing date: Friday 28 September 2018 at 5pm
Ref: Please quote L656b on application form
This role is an 18-month training programme offered initially on a temporary contract, leading to permanent employment on successful completion. The Constabulary will fund necessary training materials and the cost of successful examination attempts. Self-study will be required in order to achieve permanent employment status and on successful completion of the programme candidates will be required to remain in employment with the constabulary for a minimum of two years, or repay training costs.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work in the Network Team in the ICT Department, supporting the Suffolk and Norfolk forces' joint network and telephony systems. Challenges exist in maintaining existing services, monitoring and controlling costs, responding to customer requirements and participating in force and national projects. The work is technical and specialised, but also requires a confident customer service manner and ability to communicate clearly at all levels both verbally and in writing.
It is essential that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Degree in computer science or equivalent science / technical subject, or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a customer service environment
- Ability to solve complex technical problems in a STEM related field
- Ability to successfully undertake an in-depth and long-term programme of learning and professional development
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to solve technical challenges and manage customer service
- Ability to travel to multiple locations within Norfolk and Suffolk as required with a full driving licence to drive force vehicles including Category B, weighing up to 3,500kg owing to the need to deliver and install ICT equipment to remote sites, potentially out of hours
- Ability to physically rack-mount computer equipment weighing up to 10kgs to a height of 1.5 metres
- Ability to provide flexible working hours / overtime / on-call as required
It is desirable that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Cisco CCENT or CCNA qualification
Trainee role profile >> trainee_network_engineer_-_aug_18.pdf
Full role profile >> 24._network_engineer_-_oct_15.pdf
Hours of work are 37 per week Monday to Friday. This post is offered on a permanent basis. The successful applicant will be required to join an on-call rota for out of hours support.
Candidates will be required to undertake a written technical test as part of their application.
The recruitment criteria for all posts are subject to reasonable adjustment in line with the Equality Act 2010.
These forms as well as application guidance notes are also available on the right hand side of the page in the Downloads section.
Please return completed applications by email to [email protected].