Full Time – 37 hrs – Permanent
Band F: £32,796 - £37,440 per annum
Closing date: Friday 7 August 2020 at 5pm
Job ref: L1499 please quote this on application
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work in the Network Team in the ICT Department, supporting the Suffolk and Norfolk forces' joint network and telephony systems. The list of technology you will work with is extensive and varied, including 999 and 101 telephony, routing and switching, firewalls and security, CCTV, video conferencing and call recording. Challenges exist in maintaining current services, monitoring and controlling costs, responding to customer requirements, and supporting force and national projects. The work is technical and specialised, but also requires a confident customer service manner and ability to communicate clearly at all levels both verbally and in writing.
Candidates will be required to undertake a written technical test as part of their application.
The successful applicant will be required to join an on-call rota for out of hours support.
It is essential that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Meet one of the following qualification standards:
- Minimum of level 5 qualification in Computer Science, Electronics or a related discipline
- Previous study in networking to CISCO CCNP standard, or equivalent with any major current equipment manufacturer, e.g. Juniper, Extreme Networks, Fortinet
- Demonstrable equivalent experience to either of the above
- Experience of working as a network engineer in an enterprise environment, with up-to-date technical knowledge including routing, switching, firewalls, load balancers and VoIP
- Ability to analyse complex numerical data and identify trends and anomalies
- Experience of problem solving using programming language such as Python, Java, or C
- Experience of team working in a customer service environment
- Ability to work outside office hours as requested
- Ability to rack-mount computer equipment weighing up to 5kg to a height of 1.5 metres
- Full UK driving licence, owing to the need to drive police vehicles carrying heavy equipment, occasionally out of hours
It is desirable that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Experience of the implementation, configuration and maintenance of a mainstream Linux distribution, e.g. Debian, Redhat, CentOS
- Experience of implementing and maintaining Cacti and associated components
Role profile >> network_engineer_-_october_2019.pdf
Hours of work are 37 per week Monday to Friday. This post is offered on a permanent basis.
Consideration will be given to whether the post can be delivered on either a part time or job share basis, in line with the organisational requirements of this role.
The recruitment criteria for all posts are subject to reasonable adjustment in line with the Equality Act 2010.
These forms as well as application guidance notes are also available on the right hand side of the page in the Downloads section.
Please return completed applications by email to [email protected].