The Victims’ Code of Practice

The Code of Practice for Victims of Crime sets out what services you can expect from the criminal justice agencies when you have reported a crime, including the police and the courts.

The Code makes sure that you are kept up to date on the progress of your case. If you are a vulnerable or intimidated victim, it also makes sure that you are given special consideration. If you are not happy with the service you receive, you can make a complaint under the Code.

How you can seek compensation

Injury, loss or damage

  • If you have suffered any injury, loss or damage as a result of the offence, you may be entitled to compensation if someone is caught and convicted.
  • You will need to tell the police if you want to seek compensation, so that the Crown Prosecution Service can apply for a compensation order.
  • You will also need to give the police accurate details of the loss, injury or damage, and (if possible) any evidence, like receipts.

Injuries caused by a violent crime

If you have been injured in a violent crime, you can seek compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

For more information about this scheme, visit the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority website or call 0300 003 3601.

Damage caused by an uninsured driver

If the offender was driving an uninsured vehicle, you may be able to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) – call 01908 830 001.

Any questions?

If you have any questions, or if you need help getting the advice and support available to you, contact Suffolk Police on 101. You can also find more information about the criminal justice process and the support available on the Criminal Justice Service website.

The Code  

The Code of Practice makes sure crime victims receive the right support. It places statutory obligations on Suffolk Police, the Crown Prosecution Service, Probation Services, the Courts and Youth Offending Teams.

Most crimes are dealt with by these core criminal justice services but there are other organisations with powers to investigate and prosecute crimes. Victims of crimes which these agencies deal with are also eligible to receive services under the Code.

The Code clearly sets out what victims of all criminal offences can expect from those dealing with the crime from the first point of contact (which is usually reporting a crime) through to charge and/or outcome, including a court case.

Further details about the Code can be found on the Gov.uk website.

Under the Code, support for victims of crime includes:

  • A written acknowledgment of the criminal offence they are reporting - setting out the basic details of the offence, followed by being kept informed about the police investigation into the crime, including if a suspect is arrested and charged, and any bail conditions given.
  • Being informed of what to expect if you need to give evidence in court and discuss what help and support you might need with the Victim & Witness Services.
  • The ability to apply for special measures in court to help you give your best evidence if you are under 18 or an adult victim who is vulnerable or intimidated.
  • Being able to join the Victim Contact Scheme - this means you'll be told when an offender will be released if they have been sentenced to a year or more in prison for a violent or sexual offence against you.
  • Having the ability to apply for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
  • Receiving information about Restorative Justice which brings together the offender and the victim - giving the victim a chance to tell the offender what the real impact of their crime has been.
  • Being able to complain if you do not receive what you should under the Code. You have the right for your complaint to be handled properly and quickly. This can be done via our Professional Standards department

Some victims are entitled to an Enhanced Service. Victims of the most serious crimes or those who are vulnerable, intimidated or persistently targeted will receive an update on the progress of their case within one working day of making their initial crime report. They will also be updated of any significant developments in their case as outlined above.

More information about reporting crimes and getting compensation can be found on the Gov.uk website.

To provide feedback on how we have delivered our service, please contact 101 or email [email protected] 

A YouTube video has been produced by the Ministry of Justice and can be viewed below: