Metal theft is one of the fastest rising crimes in the UK. Thieves target:
- roof lead
- copper piping
- inspection covers
- building and construction equipment
- commemorative plaques.
Homes, churches, business premises and public buildings are all potential targets.
The following crime prevention tips are recommended to help protect your business from metal theft:
- Make your premises secure using gates, fencing and locks and don't leave any scrap materials lying around to tempt thieves.
- Install vandal-resistant ‘dawn to dusk’ sensored security lighting and consider installing CCTV.
- Guttering, drainpipes and other climbing aids can be coated in anti-climb paint, which marks clothes and skin, often helping police to identify offenders. It should only be applied above 2.4 m from the ground and must be clearly signposted to comply with the Occupiers Liability Act 1984.
- Consider using alternative materials to lead when making repairs. Coating lead in silver paint devalues the metal and makes it less likely to be stolen.
- Where it is safe to do so, encourage your staff to challenge anyone they don't recognise on the premises.
- Consider using a forensic property marking solution, such as SmartWater or SelectaDNA to security mark your property.