Online dating advice
Don't include too much personal information on your profile, wait until you are comfortable with someone before you share any sensitive information
Be aware of the dangers. Sometimes people use dating websites and apps with the sole purpose of taking advantage of people. Never share your banking information with somebody you have not met before and don't be tempted to give money to a stranger, regardless of how convincing their story is.
If you do want to meet in person, remember that you are basically meeting a stranger so consider taking the following precautions:
- Don’t agree to meet somebody for the first time in a private place - always choose a public setting with other people around, that is well-lit and has good CCTV if possible as this creates a safer environment for a first date.
- Tell somebody you trust that you are going to meet somebody new and confirm where and when you are going and what time you will be back
- Take a mobile phone with you and don’t leave drinks or belongings unattended
- Don’t be pressurised to stay if you feel uncomfortable.
- Pre-plan your journey home from the meeting place and don’t accept a lift or being accompanied on foot
- Don’t drink too much
- Remember that no matter what the circumstances, sexual activity without consent is a crime.
- In an emergency always call Police on 999.