Disposal of firearms
Advice and Guidance
The Firearms Licensing Unit is responsible for the recovery and disposal of firearms, ammunition and other weapons within Suffolk.
If you want to dispose of guns, ammunition or other weapons:
- You can hand in weapons at one of the three police stations open to the public - Ipswich, Lowestoft or Bury St Edmunds. It is best to telephone the station first to let them know what you are bringing in.
- If you can’t get to your local police station or you are unhappy to transport the items for disposal, we can collect them.
- If you are worried about the condition of the items you have or are not quite sure about what you have in your possession, get in touch with us and we will be pleased to advise you.
- Are you worried that you are in possession of something you shouldn’t have and have concerns about handing it in to the police? We receive many guns, ammunition, knives, swords and other weapons. If you make the effort to hand them in you will have acted responsibly and no action will be taken against you. If you retain something you shouldn’t have then you risk prosecution.
- Please don’t throw weapons away, as they could end up in the wrong hands. Help make Suffolk safer and hand them in!
Who can I contact?
Contact the Firearms Licensing Unit on 01473 613681. Alternatively, you can email [email protected]
For more information, please visit our firearms pages here.