Criminal Justice Service
Our Criminal Justice Service department brings together the work of operational police officers and our partners in the criminal justice process; The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and Her Majesty’s Court Services.
Together we aim for the best possible conviction rates, the best possible care for witnesses and victims and the smooth administration of justice.
The Criminal Justice Service is made up of the following teams:
- The GAP Team receives all new crime files from officers. They ensure the CPS and the court receive a suitable file for first hearing. They are also responsible for clearing and storing out of court disposals.
- The NGAP and Crown Teams manage Not Guilty Trial files and Crown Court cases in liaison with CPS and the Officer in Charge. The Crown team also manages the electronic disposal of cases and court results on police systems for all files.
- CJ Reform deal with the ongoing development and implementation of technology and digital working strategies within the criminal justice system.
- CJ Support assist officers and staff in the preparation of case files for court.
- Victim and Witness Services support victims and witnesses through the court trial process.
- The Safety Camera and Central Ticket Office process minor traffic offence tickets.
- The Road Collisions Support Team process minor traffic and Road Traffic Collision files while the Police prosecutions Team present volume collisions cases at court.
- Records Management manage the retention, storage, and disposal of sensitive hard-copy files and digital evidence.
- PNC, Warrants & Disposals manage updates on the Police National Computer.
- Property & Vehicle Recovery manage the disposal and return of property and are responsible for all vehicles seized or removed by the police.