Freedom of information request
The Freedom of Information Act was introduced to give the public greater access to information in relation to the workings of government and public bodies. Ensuring a more open and transparent public authority, promoting greater accountability.
The Act places a number of obligations on public authorities and provides a general right of access to all information recorded by the Constabulary, subject to the application of an applicable exemption or exemptions.
The Act encourages public authorities to efficiently manage their information, to ensure the disclosure of accurate information, by both:
- Proactive disclosure via the Publication Scheme and Disclosure Logs
- Responding to information requests
Any individual can make a request for information under the Act and there are two specific related rights to individuals making a request for information:
- The right to be told whether the information exists
- The right to receive the information
The above rights are subject to the application of relevant exemptions, which can remove the right of the Constabulary to provide the data or confirm that any information exists.
Further information regarding exemptions can be found within the College of Policing’s Authorised Professional Practice (APP).
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Before making a request, it is worth checking to see if the information required has been published on the website already by searching our Publication Scheme and Disclosure Log pages.
Where the information you require isn't already available online, you can make a request using one of the methods below.
To ensure that you make a valid request please include the following details:
- Name and address – In order to comply with Section 8 of the Act, the Constabulary will require your full name, either to include first and surnames, or to include title and surname.
- A description of the information you would like to access
- The way you would like the information to be sent to you (eg hard copy, email) - unless stated otherwise we will respond in the same way as the request has been made.
You can make a request for information under the FOI Act by using our online form, via email or in writing.
Our online form at the bottom of this page is the easiest and quickest way to make a request for information under the FOI Act.
The Freedom of Information Team is based at Suffolk Constabulary Police Headquarters, and can be contacted via the following details:
Freedom of information Team
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 01473 613888 Ext 3919 or 2051
Additional information concerning the Constabulary’s obligations under the Act, including both proactive and reactive disclosure, can be found within the following pages: